Foster or Adopt
Thank you for your interest in adopting or fostering an animal with LOVEPAWS!
Apply to foster or adopt one of our adorable adoptable animals by clicking on one of the buttons below.
Fosters are critical to allowing an animal rescue to continue saving animals. Without fosters, rescues would not be able to do their part in reducing overcrowding in shelters. When you foster, you’re saving two lives! When you become a foster, you are not only allowing a rescue to save that animal, but you are freeing up a much-needed space for another homeless animal to be taken into the shelter and placed into a kennel instead of being euthanized due to a lack of kennel space. Fostering helps prepare animals for adoption by giving them a chance to live in a home environment where the can fully express their personality, work to overcome fears, become healthy and recover from trauma
HOW TO APPLY TO FOSTER OR ADOPT A LOVEPAWS ANIMAL:
- To be eligible to adopt a LOVEPAWS animal, you need to be at least 25 years old.
- If you would like to learn more about one of our rescue animals, please fill out our online application using the cat and dog adoption application buttons on this page. Completing the online application is the first step and will provide us with the initial information we need but does not obligate you to adopt in any way.
- An application processor will contact you, or you may call or email the person listed in the animal’s bio for more information. Note: We are a 100% volunteer-based organization; therefore, a team member will contact you as soon as possible but it may take up to 3 days.
- If applicable, we’ll call your veterinarian to ensure that your current/previous pets have been spayed/neutered, vaccinated, and well cared for. For renters, we’ll check with your landlord to verify applicable pet policies, and if you are adopting a dog – whether there are any size or breed restrictions.Once you have spoken to us about the pet you are interested in, and if you would like to continue with the adoption process, arrangements will be made for a virtual home visit. The purpose of the home visit is to ensure that the rescue animal will be living in a safe environment, as well as to support the adoption process. All members of the home must be present for this.
- Next a meet and greet will be arranged with you and the pet. For dog adoptions, all resident dogs must be at the meet and greet. Meet and greets for cats will be done in the foster’s home.
Note: We review applications in the order in which they are received. We focus on matching the right animal to the right family to ensure successful adoptions. Our goal is to place these pets into homes where they will be safe and loved forever. We require adopters to meet our adoptable pets in person, and therefore give preference to applicants in the metro Washington, DC area, but will consider out of area adopters on a case by case basis.
If you’re ready to foster or adopt an animal in need, complete our adoption and foster applications above!
Adults (6+ months): $350
Adults (6+ months): $150 or $275 for bonded pair
Puppies (under 6 months): $375
Kittens (under 6 months): $150 or $275 for bonded pair
Seniors (8+ years): $250
Seniors (8+ years): $125
Adoption fees are what allow rescues to keep intaking animals and providing them with the proper medical needed to ensure they are healthy upon adoption. Some animals come into a rescue healthy requiring only basic medical care and others require a lot of unforeseen medical expenses. These adoption fees are critical to keeping a rescue running.